In Search of Stan Burke

Since Beltsville Shell was published about 18 years ago, the letters (and emails) that we receive from people who want to buy the book, or letters (and emails) that are written after reading the book, bring us great joy.

In "retirement" I'm gradually cleaning out clutter both in my garage and on my computer.  And I'm finally finding time to organize photos and other items that I want to keep.  A few days ago, while impersonating Marie Kondo, I stumbled across the letter below, sent exactly 10 years ago today, to Nan, wanting to purchase a book:


I love this letter from a guy who lived in Beltsville, went to High Point High School, worked at a Shell station, and drives a Corvette!

But I have been unsuccessful in tracking down Stan (I don't have a phone number or an email address for him).  

If you can help me connect with Stan, then I can see how he liked the book!

Thanks,  Cary


1 comment:

  1. Hello Cary,

    I am indeed the same Stan Burke who wrote to you 10 years ago. It is certainly nice to hear from a fellow Terrapin and Eagle. Beltsville Shell brought back many great memories --I devoured it under an umbrella in Ocean City. Funny thing, when I think about your book, a passage that always jumps at me has nothing to with Corvettes, but more about your gas station; specifically, the one about you guys throwing beer cans on the roof of the station. It reminded me of some of the antics that occurred at Route One Shell back in the day.

    I still have my ’72 and I will probably dust it off and take it out of it’s winter hibernation sometime during the next couple of weeks. My wife and I love cruising in that car.

    There is something special about a Corvette that just resonates with us. I’ve tried to explain it to people, but they just don’t seem to get it. I’m sure it resonates with you.

    Best,
    Stan

    ReplyDelete

Remembrances (and appropriate comments) are always recommended! Thank you, Cary